[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Functional Developer UNICODE support + source?

Keith Playford wrote:
> Someone would need to write a Dylan FFI back-end for it, however.

 Alternatively some effort could be devoted to finish pidgin.

> Things like this usually work around the lack of a common C++ ABI by
> generating C trampoline functions and interfacing to those instead
> (one implication being that you need a C++ compiler to compile the
> glue).

 Good (or bad?) news: an alternative is possible in the IA64 world,
at least on HP-UX & Linux systems:

   http://www.codesourcery.com/cxx-abi/

 Given that this ABI is implemented by GCC 3.0 (maybe with some warts[*]),
I would expect some of it to extend beyond ia64. I do not know whether
non-Unix platform or other Unix vendors will follow it on Itanium.

 Last time I looked, the exception handling mechanism had provisions
for cross-language barriers exceptions and language-specific handling.
I think even resumptive exceptions were possible (I had asked a colleague
who worked on it), but likely limited by cross-language calls.

 Regards - Eric

[*] Funny thing, I was thinking about this very issue, and this is the
   first mail I look at:

http://www.codesourcery.com/lists?2:mss:1319:200107:mfjpjfmcohlpfccgmggc
-----
However, this will *not* work on IA64 in the long-term because
it will use function-descriptors, not function-pointers, in the
vtable.  (GCC doesn't do this, yet.)
-----