[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: performance for scientific computing

>> But I cannot really follow what you want to do. After all, calculation
>> of A*A always requires allocation of a matrix holding the
>> result. Maybe you should describe your requirements again.
>>
> That is true for A*A but when we want to compute C=A*A+cos(A), you need
> only to allocate memory for C and nothing more:

AFAIK optimizing away temporaries in such complex vector or matrix
expressions is a hard problem and still a research topic. The APL
vendors have struggled with it for ages. The SAC project:
http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/~sacbase/ is working in that
direction but the numerical market is probably too small for
general-purposes languages like Dylan (or C, or Java etc) to
pick up such optimizations.

Regards,

-- O.L.

Follow-Ups: References: