[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Language question, a little bit OT

From:    Scott McKay <swm@mediaone.net>
To:      To info-dylan@ai.mit.edu
Date:    2001-08-04 18:15
Subject: Re: Language question, a little bit OT

> The language semantics is that all method selection is done
> at run-time.  In practice, Dylan compilers do much better than
> that; most of the code I know of gets most dispatch (90%)
> done at compile-time.

So Dylan is pretty clever in this regard ... ah.. ooh ...
This is the reason for sealing stuff in Dylan, to make as much
dynamic dispatch doable at compile time...
another bit fell into place :-)

> >As I have had no contact yet, are they in "real" use or
> >"just academic"?
> >

> New Flavors is the intellectual predecessor of CLOS.
>
> Old Flavors is the intellectual successor of Smalltalk.

hmmm .. interesting, but not a definite answer ... it might even look
like OF being newer than NF :-)

Stefan
--
Stefan Schmiedl