[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Language question, a little bit OT

From:    Michael Schuerig <schuerig@acm.org>
To:      To info-dylan@ai.mit.edu
Date:    2001-08-04 19:00
Subject: Re: Language question, a little bit OT

> Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
>
> >> No, C++ does not do the same. Dynamic dispatch happens in C++, as
> >> well as Java, Delphi, Python, Perl, Ruby, and Smalltalk, is only
> >> based on the class of the object receiving the message.
> >
> > I am having difficulties in understanding this sentence ...

But after some hours of sleep I think I have it:
In all of the languages mentioned above, dynamic dispatch
is single dispatch on the first argument resp. the receiver
of the message.

> > Now I am confused ... "overloading" at compile time, e.g. in Delphi,
> > is the mechanism allowing "dynamic dispatch" at run time, no?
> I don't know Delphi, but I expect it is very similar in this regard to
> C++ and Java.

Since I don't know C++ very much, we'll have to settle on "similar to Java".

> Yes, it is exemplified by the STL. If you really want to know, get
> Andrei Alexandrescu's book "Modern C++ Design"
> (http://www.moderncppdesign.com/).

I have Meyer's "effective" books on CD lying on my desk.
Should I read Alexandrescu before, after or instead of them?

--
Stefan Schmiedl
EDV-Beratung, Programmierung, Schulung

Change is Constant