[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Language question, a little bit OT

Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

[generic programming in C++]
>> Yes, it is exemplified by the STL. If you really want to know, get
>> Andrei Alexandrescu's book "Modern C++ Design"
>> (http://www.moderncppdesign.com/).
>
> I have Meyer's "effective" books on CD lying on my desk.
> Should I read Alexandrescu before, after or instead of them?

Most of all, you should only read any of these books if you either
intend to program seriously in C++ or if you're curious about
programming styles.

In the former case, I'd recommend reading a good introduction to C++
first. For an experienced programmer, Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming
Language" is probably suitable, for those who prefer an easier read
something like "The C++ Primer" by Stan Lippman & Josee Lajoie likely
is better. Then, while already using C++, thoroughly read the books by
Scott Meyers. Only after that you should go for Alexandrescu's "Modern
C++ Design". I also recommend Herb Sutter's "Exceptional C++", an
extended collection of Herb's first 40 installments of The C++ Guru of
the Week, a regular quiz on comp.lang.c++.moderated.

If, OTOH, you're interested in the state of the art in C++ programming
as some kind of intellectual curiousity, say, to get a glimpse of
what's the deal with generic programming, then directly read "Modern
C++ Design". Don't expect to understand it in detail or to be able to
apply the techniques shown. Nevertheless, it will provide insights into
a not yet common style of software composition.

Michael

Follow-Ups: References: