[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MIME for Dylan sourcecode?

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:39:31PM -0400, Kim Barrett wrote:
> I don't think we game much of any thought to the notion of a Dylan script
> written as a single text file.  And I wonder if that is really the best
> model for such anyway.

This is pretty much an end-user requirement, at least for Gwydion Dylan,
regardless of how we personally feel about it.  You wouldn't believe the
amount of grief that I've received from potential users because they
couldn't just create a file in Emacs and feed it to a command-line
compiler.

This may arguably be an outmoded way of working, but something like 75% of
our potential users prefer it.

> Of course, that presumes the existance of an IDE beyond ones favorite
> text editor and command line compiler.

This is not a safe assumption in the modern Unix world.  At least half
of the users have already picked their tools (Emacs, vi, nedit, CVS, make,
autotools, etc.), and will ignore software that doesn't play nicely with
their setup.

Of the remaining users who can be talked into using an IDE, most still
require that their source code be stored in text files (typically so they
can use their company's CVS repository--or SourceForge's).

Cheers,
Eric

Follow-Ups: References: