[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan Hackers entry won second prize at ICFP 2001

Brad Settlemyer <nobody@nowhere.com> writes:

> Interesting.  The guy Bruce thought would win didn't even make top 5.  A
> bit of a surprise there since I think he had the other top 3 finishers
> picked out. :-|

This is easy to explain: Bruce looked at both execution speed and
optimizer quality, whereas the real judges didn't look at execution
speed at all.

And everybody who gets the joke in the name of the winning program,
which is "LALR(5000000)", must admit that they deserved the first
place.

Andreas

--
"In my eyes it is never a crime to steal knowledge. It is a good
theft. The pirate of knowledge is a good pirate."

Follow-Ups: References: