[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MIME for Dylan sourcecode?

Eric Kidd <eric.kidd@pobox.com> wrote in message news:<20010907124557.D1396@localhost.ne.mediaone.net>...
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:36:33AM -0400, Kim Barrett wrote:
> > Once could imagine an IDE that used a database derived by slurping in text
> > files and spitting them back out in some well-defined and reproducible
> > form for interaction with a revision control system.  That seemed to be
> > the direction being discussed during my brief tenure at Harlequin, for
> > exactly the reason of playing nicely with other tools.
>
> Exactly.  Modern e-mail clients have begun to take a similar approach,
> using portable formats for storing e-mail, but building external indeces to
> support searchability, cross-referencing, etc.
>
> If the underlying text files get randomly modified behind the e-mail
> client's back, it discards the indices.

Hell, this has been available for a long time.  I was using Object
Master and MacBrowse to edit MacApp programs in Object Pascal in the
late 80's.  Both provided a Smalltalk-like multi-pane browser in which
to surf and edit code, and both did it by maintaining index files for
traditional text files.

-- Bruce