[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Promoting Dylan...

On Saturday, September 8, 2001, at 02:45  am, Bruce Hoult wrote:

> "Mark Jordan" <Mark_Jordan@nospam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> OK, I've done my bit this week to promote Dylan to
>> other programmers ;-)
>
> Good on 'yer.

Yes, good stuff.

I think my favorite quote from the article is this:

""It's also hard to argue with Feher, when he remarks, "I think one of
the greatest strength of C++ is that you exactly know what is happening
'behind the scenes.' You are not at the mercy of a black box VM or a
'who knows in what state it is' garbage collector etc." ""

As someone who fights with C++'s syntax, template system, non-existent
memory management and mysteriously generated bindings on a daily basis,
I find it funny that this guy's best defense of the language is a
straw-man parody of 1970s attitudes to Lisp or Pascal. Three different
meanings for >> and const? Lovely.

- Rob.