[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pathetic newbie cant grasp simple concept like dylan-user

Hi,
I'm having a little trouble figuring out the dylan-user module.  As I
understand it, dylan-user is implicitly defined by every library, and it
imports all of the dylan module.  What I don't understand is why, in all the
code examples I see, the first line in the library definition file is
Module: dylan-user
For example, from the book Dylan Programming:

Module: dylan-user

define library time
    export time;
    use format-out;
    use dylan;
end library time;

I don't understand why the Module: statement is needed, if libraries are at
the top of the hierarchy, i.e., libraries contain modules.  Doesn't this
statement say that the time library is in the dylan-user module?

Using Functional Developer, I opened up the Hanoi example and commented out
the Module: statement in all the source files where it appeared (two of
them).  The program compiled and linked and ran fine.
What intuitively obvious thing am I missing?  I know I'm really going to
kick myself on this one, so I'm prepared for the worst...
Thanks...