[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: dylan-user

On Wednesday, September 12, 2001, at 05:00  am, natas wrote:

> What I don't understand is why, in all the
> code examples I see, the first line in the library definition file is
> Module: dylan-user

It's saying where the contents of the file should go, rather than
creating anything. Dylan-user is already magically defined, and code
needs to live in a module, so declaring code to be in dylan-user avoids
problems with having to declare libraries and modules before you can
declare libraries and modules.

> I don't understand why the Module: statement is needed, if libraries
> are at
> the top of the hierarchy, i.e., libraries contain modules.  Doesn't this
> statement say that the time library is in the dylan-user module?

I should know this one. :-) I think it's also because code has to be in
modules. :-) Hopefully someone can give a better answer than this.

> Using Functional Developer, I opened up the Hanoi example and commented
> out
> the Module: statement in all the source files where it appeared (two of
> them).  The program compiled and linked and ran fine.

I don't know about Fun-Dev so I'm guessing they do this automatically.

- Rob.