[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ZWEI (Re: emacs rules and vi sucks)

In article <G6%r7.26054$vq.5400932@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>,
Scott McKay <swm@mediaone.net> wrote:
>Zwei models buffers as linked lists of line objects, and BPs
>are a pair {line,index}.  This makes it easier to do some
>clever stuff in Zwei, but IIRC lines in Zwei are structures,
>not classes, so it turned out that we had to wrestle quite a
>bit with Zwei to get display of multiple fonts and graphics
>to work (on the order of many weeks).

Of course, the most likely reason for this, I think, is that ZWEI was first
implemented *before* Flavors, so there was no class system available.  Most
of the higher-level data structures (e.g. buffers and windows) were later
Flavorized, but I guess no one felt that it was critical enough to redesign
the low-level lines and buffer pointers.  Perhaps because these objects are
used in so many inner loops there might have been a worry about the
performance impact (we all remember what things were like when Dynamic
Windows first came out and suddenly the whole UI became a conglomeration of
instances with mouse sensitivity).

>The editor for FunO's Dylan product -- Deuce --  is the
>next generation of Zwei in many ways.

I'm just curious: is Deuce a self-referential acronym, and if so what does
it stand for?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA