[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ZWEI (Re: emacs rules and vi sucks)

"Barry Margolin" <barmar@genuity.net> wrote in message
A72s7.2$5w4.728@burlma1-snr2">news:A72s7.2$5w4.728@burlma1-snr2...
> In article <G6%r7.26054$vq.5400932@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>,
> Scott McKay <swm@mediaone.net> wrote:
> >Zwei models buffers as linked lists of line objects, and BPs
> >are a pair {line,index}.  This makes it easier to do some
> >clever stuff in Zwei, but IIRC lines in Zwei are structures,
> >not classes, so it turned out that we had to wrestle quite a
> >bit with Zwei to get display of multiple fonts and graphics
> >to work (on the order of many weeks).
>
> Of course, the most likely reason for this, I think, is that ZWEI was
first
> implemented *before* Flavors, so there was no class system available.
Most
> of the higher-level data structures (e.g. buffers and windows) were later
> Flavorized, but I guess no one felt that it was critical enough to
redesign
> the low-level lines and buffer pointers.  Perhaps because these objects
are
> used in so many inner loops there might have been a worry about the
> performance impact (we all remember what things were like when Dynamic
> Windows first came out and suddenly the whole UI became a conglomeration
of
> instances with mouse sensitivity).

Yes, definitely.  Remember ":ordered-instance-variables", which
was a hack to be able to access Flavor instance variables at
roughly the same speed as structure slots?

> >The editor for FunO's Dylan product -- Deuce --  is the
> >next generation of Zwei in many ways.
>
> I'm just curious: is Deuce a self-referential acronym, and if so what does
> it stand for?

Actually, I called it Deuce as a conscious homage to Zwei, then
force-fit an acronym: Dylan Environment Universal Code Editor.
"Universal" was an adjective that I and some other high-school
hacker friends always seemed to self-importantly apply to our
(in retrospect) silly programs, so it seemed like a good way to
poke fun at myself.