[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Distributed objects vs. generic functions and multi-methods

Hugh Greene wrote

>Kaelin Colclasure earlier mentioned the problem of incremental updates to
>code on different nodes.  Dunno if it's of any interest but a friend of
>mine did his PhD on a so-called "Dynamic ML" which addresses run-time
>dynamic updates to ML modules on other machines (with ML's usual formal
>correctness guarantees).  Not actually implemented yet, AFAIK, but it has
>a chapter on how the formal side might be applied to Java.  See
><http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/cdw/>, though I couldn't find the thesis
>online.
>
>Just my (friend's) 2p :-)

Ah, interesting. I'll have a look sometime.

Also, anyone seriously interested in distributed systems owes themselves
a look at Erlang -- a functional language specifically tailored to the
domain. There is even an open source implementation to play with.

<http://www.erlang.org/>

-- Kaelin