[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Status of Dylan on MacOS X

On Friday, October 19, 2001, at 11:11 AM, Rob Myers wrote:

> You do need to install some of the GNU tools to replace the Apple ones
> (automake, autoconf and libtool), especially for compiling the compiler.
>
> It hasn't been tested on 10.1 yet to the best of my knowledge, but it
> should
> work OK. I'm hoping 10.1 will fix the need to install the GNU tools (the
> very latest GNU tools don't compile on 10.0.4). I'll test all this when
> my
> copy of 10.1 arrives, hopefully next week.

Last time I tried to install the current release, I tripped over this. I
remember being reluctant to replace the Apple versions of these tools
for fear that either:

1. it would break the Apple tool chain in some unforeseen way, making
the Apple Developer Tools unusable for compiling and installing other
open source software released for MacOS X.

2. Apple would release an update to their developer tools that would
overwrite these Gnu Tools, thus rendering the Dylan tool chain unusable.

So, I guess what I'm asking is: Is there, or will there soon be a
version of Gwydion Dlylan that works on a stock MacOS X 10.1, with the
Developer Tools as shipped by Apple, since this is what every other open
source software project will be targeting. Failing that, is there,  or
will there soon be a binary distribution that works under a stock MacOS
X?

> Gabor's CW plugin gives you graphical browsers for class and GF
> hierachies,
> it's very cool and gives you the only other Dylan IDE available today.
> I'm
> not a fan of Metrowerks at all, but the plugin is excellent.

Yes, Gabor's work is excellent. Unfortunately, I've been burned by
Metrowerks way too many times to ever send them another dime, especially
now that the platform standard is  a set of tools shipped by Apple
themselves, free to anyone  who  wants them.

Raf