[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Status of Dylan on MacOS X

on 19/10/01 3:30 pm, Raffael Cavallaro at raffael@mediaone.net wrote:

> I've been wondering for some time what the status of (Gwydion) Dylan on
> MacOS X is. It seems like the OS has settled down to a large extent with
> the release of 10.1. Is there some stable, usable version that will work
> on MacOS X 10.1?

There's a full and current version of Gwydion Dylan available for MacOS X
from the usual ftp sites. See http://www.gwydiondylan.org/ . It seems pretty
stable and has a Carbon interface library available for it with some simple
GUI application demos. See http://www.robmyers.org/dylan/macosx/index.html
for some old screenshots.

You do need to install some of the GNU tools to replace the Apple ones
(automake, autoconf and libtool), especially for compiling the compiler.

It hasn't been tested on 10.1 yet to the best of my knowledge, but it should
work OK. I'm hoping 10.1 will fix the need to install the GNU tools (the
very latest GNU tools don't compile on 10.0.4). I'll test all this when my
copy of 10.1 arrives, hopefully next week.

I'm also working (slowly) on a Carbon DUIM.

> In particular, it would seem to me desirable to make Gwydion Dylan
> usable from within Project Builder, since this is a freely available
> tool, well supported by Apple, and, of course, interfaces to GCC.

Some preliminary research was done on this. We need to find out how to make
a Project Builder plugin. My company has an Apple Developer account so this
should be doable.

> In any event, what is the status of a usable Dylan on MacOS X, excluding
> CodeWarrior, which in my experience, is buggy as the day is long under
> MacOS X (in addition to being a non-free tool in both senses of the word
> "free.")

Gabor's CW plugin gives you graphical browsers for class and GF hierachies,
it's very cool and gives you the only other Dylan IDE available today. I'm
not a fan of Metrowerks at all, but the plugin is excellent.

- Rob.

Follow-Ups: References: