[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[off-topic] Re: Reducing exe size?

Robert Feldt feldt@ce.chalmers.se on  2001-12-13 06:45 wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Bruce Hoult wrote:
>
>> But in any case a MB or two overhead isn't that big a deal today.  It's
>> what ... a third of a cent of disk, and 10 cents of RAM?  Something like
>> that, and getting less each month.
>>
> Yes, and as I said I even got down below 600k so even fits on a floppy!

I also abhor bloat, but a blank CD-R costs less than a floppy, so I wonder
if a floppy is still a useful metric?

Industry pundits still seem to razz Apple for not having a floppy drive any
more, but when was the last time you received anything on a floppy?  I think
the last thing I did was Quark 3.2 -- they had some decrepit locking scheme
that involved munging a floppy.