[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Lisp ?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:14:40 +1300, Bruce Hoult <bruce@hoult.org>
wrote:

>> Dylan will almost certainly never break into the mainstream without a
>> big promoter.  The opportunity was largely lost when Apple dropped it.
>
>That was a sad day, yes.  And it's taking a while to recover from.  The
>good news is that 1) the implementations are getting there, and 2) most
>mainstream people have never even heard of it, so when we're ready it'll
>be "new" to them, not recycled.

Dylan's biggest liability is its name ( named after an elderly
has-been 1960's  rocker that only my parents would have been seen dead
listening to ) and the perception that it was "dropped by Apple".

Perhaps renaming it and changing its Pascal like syntax either towards
Scheme or towards C  might get some disillusioned Schemers , lispers
or even some apostates from Java and C#....
As for names Skylan / Skylark for the Schemefied version or Cyclan for
the C syntax version (I was a EC Tubbs fan...)  Or if you want a
musical name, Bach or Fugue would be nice ( Mozart is already taken by
the Oz/Mozart language )