[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Lisp ?

On Thursday, December 27, 2001, at 12:45  AM, israel r t wrote:

> Dylan's biggest liability is its name ( named after an elderly
> has-been 1960's  rocker that only my parents would have been seen dead
> listening to )

No, you're mistaken here. The language was named for a character from
Welsh mythology (i.e., Dylan), and because it was designed as a DYnamic
LANguage. Gwydion is also a character from Celtic/Welsh mythology, hence
the name of the Gwydion Dylan project. Because Dylan is a well known
mythological figure, his name is popular in Wales, which is why the poet
Dylan Thomas was named what he was. When the musician Robert "Bob"
Zimmerman was looking for a stage name, he chose the last name Dylan
because he admired the poet, Dylan Thomas.

Bob Dylan (or at least his attorneys) has a similar misperception when
they filed suit against Apple Computer Inc., a suit which was later
dropped, partly because the language wasn't named for him, and partly
because there's no real possibility of market confusion between an aging
folk-rock performer's music, and a high level dynamic computer language.

> and the perception that it was "dropped by Apple".

This is much more relevant to Dylan's perception as a viable language.

BTW, judging by your recent posts, you're either particularly grumpy
this holiday season, or you're becoming quite the troll.

Raf