Re: wrapping the python libraries

On Saturday, March 9, 2002, at 02:15 PM, manicmarvin@hotmail.com wrote:

>  A bit of problem is that there aren't too many libraries comming with
> it
> (with GD that is).

Dylan doesn't have a CPAN equivalent, so it's often hard to find
everything that's available. There's more on the Gwydion FTP site,
SourceForge and Chris's site. Fun-O are also open-sourcing even more
code in their Linux alpha release. What sort of libraries are you after?

> Has anyone ever tried to do something like wrapping
> (part of) the libraries that come with python?

Pyhton and Dylan often seem to be shared interests. Both are dynamic and
are easier to read than the alternatives (allegedly :-) ).

> There's an awful lot of
> 'm (part of those written in quite portable c too).
> If so: any conclusions? Hard, easy, not worth the trouble?

It's easy to wrap C code in Dylan, so if the core of a Python library is
useful, it shouldn't be too hard to wrap. I'd be wary of wrapping
interpreted Python, but there is code to make and use a Java VM from
Dylan, and I've some unpublished code to wrap Objective-C code, so Dylan
does play well with others.

- Rob.