Re: The activity level of dylan.

Bruce Hoult wrote:

> In article <3C8C33A7.7AC970F9@attbi.com>, Carl Gay <carlgay@attbi.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Bruce Hoult wrote:
> > >
> > > For those who didn't get the acronym, btw, "DSP" is Dylan Server Pages,
> > > in the same sense as "Java Server Pages".
> >
> > Similar in that .dsp source files look like .jsp source files, mixing
> > HTML and extra-HTML tags, but DSP is a pure template engine with none
> > of the drawbacks (and benefits?) of compiling to Java, or in this case
> > Dylan, code.
>
> Oh!  I hadn't looked at it yet.  So you can't put arbitrary Dylan code
> into the pages?  That's a pity.

I s'pose, but it's so easy to write tags in DSP that I don't see it
as a problem.  Implementing a tag like <xx:foo arg1="bar"> ... </xx:foo>
is just

define body tag foo in some-taglib
    (page :: <dylan-server-page>, response :: <response>, do-body :: <function>)
    (arg1 :: <string>)
  format(output-stream(response), "blah blah");
  if (frob(arg1))
    do-body();
  end;
end;

I think for quick hacks putting code directly in the web page is
useful, but the cost of having to drag around the Dylan compiler
and the complexity of implementation outweigh that for me.