Re: Simpe Gwydion question

On Friday,  12, 2002, at 12:45AM, Waldek Hebisch <hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:

>With format-out my gwydion-dylan-2.3.8 prints:
>  Error: Undefined variable: format-out

Try:
    make-dylan-app test .
    make
    ./test
This should compile and run  OK. If not, there's a problem with the GD installation.
Now look at test-exports.dylan. The library imports io and the module imports format-out. main() then calls format-out. This works under my 2.3.8, and prints floats as described when I add them to the format-out call.

>  Error: Undefined variable: float-to-string

If the library and the module both import common-dylan then float-to-string works fine .

>:   for (i from 0 below dvec.size)

Put a type constraint on i to improve performance. Probably:

for( i :: <integer> from 0 below dvec.size)

>:     // i wanted to fill this with random numbers, but i couldn't find
>:     // random() in common-extensions.

Use the random library and module. See:

http://www.gwydiondylan.org/gdref/gdlibs/libs-random-random.html

>:     dvec[i] := i * 1.64;

Note the implicit type conversion. I don't know what to do about this. :-)

Can we populate a vector with values from a function? This would be quicker than making then populating. Or some sort of applying or mapping function.

>:   for (i from 0 below dvec.size)

Again, a type constraint will improve performance here.

>Still, the program (simple heapsort benchmark)
>works as slow as previously -- many times slower then C, 15 times slower
>then CMU Common Lisp (generated C code still calls what looks like generic
>methods).

Please can you post the code so we can have a look. Fast Dylan is different from fast C (and subtly different from fast Lisp).

Thanks.

- Rob.