sql-odbc: accessing row elements by column name?

I've been playing around with FunDev's SQL-ODBC library and I don't
see any way to access row elements by column name.  It seems the
returned <result-set> is a collection whos elements are vectors and
you have to index directly into the row vector.  It seems to me this
requires that I build into my program the knowledge of what order
the columns are in.  (Plus it requires that either I don't ever
"select * ..." or that the database will guarantee that the order
in the "create table" statement is the order in which the columns
are returned in each row.  I don't know enough about DBMS's to
know if that's always true.)  I like JDBC's ability to access
row elements by name.  Is there any way to do that in the SQL-ODBC
library?