RE: FW: book

Hi, Matthias; thanks for your mail.

> the first edition had nothing on types, safety, and gc...
> The authors have recognized these shortcomings and address
> some of them in the second edition.

Thank you for pointing that out; I don't have my copy handy,
but I believe it is the 1st ed.

> As for couching these results in terms of different syntaxes,
> I suggest we agree to disagree that this is a topic of importance.

1. It's not simply a matter of syntax.  Python, for example, has
   until recently had a strict three-level namespace, while Perl
   has its odd globs.  Similarly, Icon's pervasive generators hield
   an evaluation model that is very different from that of Scheme,
   Python, Java, etc.

2. I don't have my Bartlett's handy, but someone once said, "It
   is not enough to preach---one must be heard."  I think that a
   book couched only in Lisp-like syntax is less likely to be read
   by the average programmer than one which uses other notations.
   Since the point of writing a book is to have people read it, I
   suggest that this *is* a topic of some importance for would-be
   authors...

> Interfacing to legacy systems is a topic that has only come
> up some five years ago.

If you're speaking of "impractical, academic LLs" (using the
distinction in your original post), then I don't know enough to
comment.  I do think that easy integration with C was an explicit
design goal for the very first version of Python --- Jeremy, can
you comment?

> The reason I used the word "appearances" is that personally I
> find nothing less satisfying than integrating an existing program
> into one of my scripts via strings or char streams (and yes, I do
> that sometimes).

I guess we have to agree to disagree once again --- I find
rewriting existing code even less satisfying than that :-).

Thanks,
Greg

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.