RE: text processing as *the* problem

Title: RE: text processing as *the* problem

Hi Kevin.

I too have similar text processing needs. FYI, for the type of processing you suggested:

> The sort of problem I often need to solve is to extract the links and
> accompanying
> text from a web page, but only from a certain part of the page.  I would
> like to
> be able to easily program some processing rules, such as "ignore tables that
> contain forms"  or "only collect links that begin with '/news/'".

you may want to look at wrapper (screen scraping technologies). I've used W4F successfully at my last company to extract content from web pages and in fairly large volume (probably close to 1000 web pages). The syntax is not so intuitive, but for crawling DOM trees and yanking out content based on the node your at - W4F is/was probably the better languages (and associated tools). W4F code is compiled into Java code. So if your a Java fan like me then it can work out nicely.

http://db.cis.upenn.edu/W4F/

Also, checkout Webel, originally from a research group at Compaq. (Was Webel, I guess now is recoded in Java and now has another name?

http://www.research.compaq.com/SRC/WebL/index.html

Another is DEL, but I haven't looked at it yet in detail. Considering its XML based, well... most likely it will be very unintuitive to program.

http://www.w3.org/TR/data-extraction

Regards...

-Clint