Re: Diversity - existence, value, and pursuit.

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 03:55:57PM -0500, Guillaume Marceau wrote:
> I'm my circle of friends, in an interesting abuse of url notation, we
> would write : google://dynamo

I use Konqueror, where that actually works. :) And it's not the
first hit, it's a couple down the page:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/cambridge/projects/Dynamo/

This looks *very* interesting. Get the feeling it's a little far down
the line, though. Maybe next year. The fragmented binary image idea is
something I wanted to put into Parrot, but I didn't know quite how to
express.

> Some of Java's sementics were originaly though to be optimizable, but it
> turned out they weren't. They are : stack allocatable objects, array
> bound checks and dynamic method call lookup.

This is turning into a major bummer for dynamic language optimization.
I'm surprised (he says, looking around) there's no successful work on this.

--
"The bad reputation UNIX has gotten is totally undeserved, laid on by people
 who don't understand, who have not gotten in there and tried anything."