Re: text processing as *the* problem

At 6:56 PM -0500 12/4/01, Ronald D Stephens wrote:

>2. Also, someone asked a while back "what language is Google
> written in?"   [...] found folks discussing Python as the
>langauge in which Google was written [...] but I could not find
>verification in the article itself to support this.  So, I suspect
>it's true, but I do not know for sure.

You can get a few more hints if you look at their job openings
list (always a rich source for resolving industrial-espionage-style
speculation):

    http://www.google.com/jobs/openings.html

I see Python mentioned 8 times, C++ 7, Java 4, and Perl 2,
and HTML once (not counting the "HTML version of your resume"
phrases).

My suspicion is that the prototype was originally written in
Python, and that as their size grew, many pieces were moved
to C++ in the name of efficiency.

For what that's worth.

 -- Doug