Re: Lightness vs. Largeness

At 12:53 PM 12/5/2001 -0700, Robert Spector wrote:
>I think an LL has to be "low overhead" -- simple expressions like "(+ 1
>2)" can run on their own.
>
> From the discussions on the list it seems that "programming-in-the-large"
> implies OO and mandatory types.

I, for one, don't think OO's mandatory for programming in the large.

>Question:  is an LL then constitutionally incompatible with solving the
>problems implied by the phrase "programming-in-the-large"?   (Or is that
>phrase somehow pejorative?)

I don't think so. Just because types aren't necessary doesn't mean they
can't be required. There's nothing wrong with having optional levels of
strictness you can enable to set requirements that must be satisfied at
compile time, which might be off in the default case.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk