Re: Java memory model

At 11:02 AM 12/7/2001 -0500, Guy Steele - Sun Microsystems Labs wrote:
>Maybe it will help to douse the flames (with H2O or C8H18?)
>if I remark that, in my opinion, the memory model of the
>Java programming language is broken.  Consider it so remarked.
>
>I am very proud that Bill Joy and I tackled the problem of
>specifying a memory model for an explicitly multithreaded
>programming language instead of just ignoring it and hoping
>for the best.  I think we broke new ground here in the art of
>programming language specification.
>
>I am embarrassed that the model we set forward has certain
>obvious technical and practical flaws, and certain other very
>subtle flaws.

Could you, perchance, post or point me at a summary of the things you
consider wrong about Java's memory model? I'd hate to make the same
mistakes with Parrot (though there's something to be said about making a
high-class set of mistakes... :).

Also, are these related to the issues I know folks have with Java's
threading model? (Some of which are memory related, but I'm not sure all of
'em are)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk