Re: Java

  DW>    Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:35:59 -0600
  DW>    From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>

  DW>    I have exactly as much control over Perl and Python as I
  DW>    want. If I am willing to put in the time and effort I can
  DW>    maintain PPython and PPerl variants.

  DW> You can create your own language if you want to, but that
  DW> doesn't mean you have power to control Perl and Python.

Isn't this getting a bit far afield for lightweight languages?  I
don't see how Paul's purported control over Python or his lack of
control over Java affect whether a language is suitable for
lightweight tasks.

  DW> I "glob" so rarely that I didn't even know what the word "glob"
  DW> meant until you mentioned it and I had to go look it up.

Indeed, I know what glob is.  I help develop a language that has glob
support.  Yet I can't recall writing a program that used glob.

  DW>    Most technologists want languages driven by
  DW>    technology. That's what Java had in the early days but has
  DW>    since lost.

  DW> Yeah, making products for technologists, and being "driven by
  DW> technology", in the sense you mean, is definitely what we did at
  DW> Symbolics.  May it rest in peace.

Has anyone ever made a successful business of selling a language?

Jeremy