What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood

I think the smartest programmers have a lot more power in
dictating language popularity than most people realize.
Remember Ada and C?  As I heard it, the DoD required all
their software to be written in Ada, and you had to get
an exemption to use anything else.  But the best hackers
insisted on using C, and the DoD had to grant so many
exemptions that Ada soon became a dead letter.

I think if you want average dufuses to use your language,
you can do it by getting the geniuses to use it.  Then
the geniuses write Unix, and all the dufuses learn your
language in order to hack it; or the geniuses start
Microsoft, write all the initial software in your
language, and then hire dufuses to write more in the
same language.

The result is that the dufuses often end up using a
language that wasn't designed for them, often with
disastrous results.  Something similar happened with
the Porsche 911.  It was basically a racing car.  The
serious car people loved it.  The dufuses noticed this
and so they wanted 911s too, which was a problem
because the car had major oversteer.  A lot of wannabees
got killed as a result.

Just like a lot of wannabees ended up writing stack
overflow bugs in C, which was certainly not designed to
be the language for "average programmers" that it became.
Not necessarily ideal, but I fear that is how the world
works.

Our plan for Arc is, design the Porsche 911.  If you do
that, eventually all the drug dealers will want it too,
even though the Cadillac Fleetwood was the car designed
for them.

(It's more *fun* designing the 911 too!)

--pg