RE: What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood

All three of the reasons you give for why Ada was more
expensive (no one used it by choice, no one wrote
libraries for it, and no one wrote compilers for it) are
just the symptoms of real hackers not liking it.  It
may have shown up in the DoD's books as "language too
expensive" but the root cause was "language sucked."

BTW, here are some pictures of a Cadillac and 911 from
the same year:

http://www.paulgraham.com/design.html

Although the images are hilarious I think the point is
an important one for language designers.  The Cadillac
was presumably very carefully designed to appeal to its
target users, whereas the 911 was just designed to be
good.

The "average programmer" is a fuzzy target, and vague
aims always lead to bad work.

--pg