RE: What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood

I know business decisions tend to be made by the pointy-haired
boss, rather than hackers.  What I'm saying is that in this
case (e.g. by not liking the language enough to write free
compilers for it) they forced the pointy-haired bosses' hands.

The pointy-haired boss may be the one who makes the actual
decision about what language to use, but his choices are
limited to languages that have had actual uptake among hackers,
and that *is* usually determined by the best hackers.

It's surprising with the example of C in front of us that there
is even any debate about this issue.  Brilliant hackers at
Bell Labs create language for their own use, write Unix in
it, Unix takes over world, everyone (good hackers and bad)
learns C, pointy-haired boss decides C is a good choice for
implementing projects.  The hackers have made the decision
for him years before.

--pg