RE: What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood

Paul Graham wrote:
>Subject: RE: What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood
>
>The alternative to designing for a hypothetical idiot isn't
>to design something just to please yourself.  The way to
>good design (good work in any field in fact) is to aim to
>please yourself and a small group of fairly sophisticated
>colleagues.  That's what mathematicians aim for; that's
>what Leonardo etc. aimed for; that's what the Porsche 911
>designers were thinking; that was Jane Austen's method.
>I think you'd be hard pressed to find an example of great
>work that wasn't created this way.
>
>Self + sophisticated friends may not be the perfect target
>market, but it has the advantage Churchill ascribed to
>democracies: every alternative is worse.
>
>--pg

This is very well put, but very unfortunate,
because it ensures that all sorts of people who are sophisticated in other
ways
remain disenfrancised and disempowered,
even though they are often in closer touch with the real world problems that
really need solving
and with the larger community that is the real market for all of us.

"Self + sophisticated" are in a good position to delude themselves that
every alternative is worse.