Re: Language Marketing (was: What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood)

You're right of course; more important to have few tokens
than short tokens.

I have found though that short tokens have some unexpected
benefits.  In Lisp there are some names that send your
code flying toward the right side of the screen, and
often eventually force you to break lines you'd rather not.
The CL

(mapcar #'(lambda

becomes

(map (fn

in Arc, and trivial as this kind of renaming seems I've
found it makes a difference in the way the language feels.

Arc right now is half written in Arc and half in CL, and
the CL bits are starting to feel like ill-fitting shoes.
I find myself writing macros to make the CL code look
more like Arc, because e.g. I can't stand all the extra
parens I have to type in a CL let now.

The J quicksort is impressively short in tokens as well as
characters.  Is that the canonical way to write it?

--pg