RE: Jonathan Rees on OO

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Anton van Straaten wrote:

> Here's an idea that would satisfy me - to use the Java example, allow
> something like this:
>
> 	abstract class foo interface ifoo
>

> ...which would simultaneously declare a class foo, as well as an interface
> ifoo, with the same signature as the class.  This way, if the class and the
> interface later need to be separated, it could be done without impacting any
> client code; and there's no redundancy or verbosity.

<plug>
This is the sort of thing that's very natural to implement using a tool I
developed this summer - you can check it out at
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/spl/projects/elide .  In ELIDE, you would add,
say, an autoInterface modifier which would allow

abstract autoInterface<iFoo> class foo

and generate the appropiate interface.
</plug>

I imagine you could do something similar with the JSE?  Or can a class
definition not expand into a class + interface definition?

Cheers,
Avi