Re: XML as a transition to s-expr

Viaweb had a scripting language (so we called it
anyway) called RTML that we used to describe all
the pages.  It looked basically like this, except
that you could interleave arbitrary Lisp code.
(Not sure whether Scott meant this example to.)

The interesting thing was, we offered RTML to
users (who were far from programmers).  We used a
structure editor, so we didn't display the
parentheses, but behind the scenes the program
was manipulating s-expressions which it later
fed to compile.

http://store.yahoo.com/rtml.html

(Don't be dismayed by the wordy syntax; these
operators were picked off menus, not typed.)

Users loved RTML.  That was what taught me for sure
(as the Dylan guys hypothesized, and the Python and Ruby
guys proved) that the only thing standing between Lisp
and even the most novice programmers was the parentheses.

Alas I don't think you want to actually toss the
s-expression baby out with the bath water, or you
substantially weaken the language.  (We couldn't
have *implemented* RTML without them for example.)

--pg