Re: Libraries and repositories

That is a good point.  If something works on all platforms
already no one is tempted to do a separate implementation.

Maybe there is just something about Lisp that encourages
new versions though, because there are lots of Common Lisp
and Scheme implementations for the same hardware.  I think
there are just a certain number of people out there who want
to work on writing Lisp compilers, and they're each going to
write their own no matter what you do...