Re: need for macros (was Re: Icon)

   From: Matthias Felleisen <matthias@ccs.neu.edu>
   To: gls@labean.East.Sun.COM
   Cc: paulgraham@yahoo.com, ll1-discuss@ai.mit.edu
   Subject: Re: need for macros (was Re: Icon)
   Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:06:50 -0500 (EST)

      And some people prefer not to commingle the functional,
      lambda-calculus part of a language with the parts that
      do side effects.  It seems they believe in the separation
      of Church and state.  :-)  :-)  :-)

      --Guy

   And in a way, they are correct. In the end, monads give you two things that
   are important:

    - types that make effects explicit (even though these bishops don't like
      to admit that :)

    - more power in manipulating state (duplicate it, for example)

   I am a pragmatist ...

And always very serious and passionate about good language pedagogy.
Well said.  But, c'mon, Matthias, at least acknowledge the pun!
I thought it was a pretty good one.

And, while I'm at it, I wish you (and everyone on the list who
wants it) fröhliche Weihnachten und ein glückliches Neujahr!

--Guy