Re: C#

   Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:32:32 -0500
   From: "McLagan, Doug" <mclagand@citi.com>

   I'd like to know what people think about the views expressed in this column:

There's lot of very subjective stuff here, in my opinion rather
over-the-top.  He makes a big point about C# being faster than Java.
This might be true.  But if it's going to be his central point, you'd
think he might bother to provide some kind of evidence.  Saying that
it "feels better than Java" hardly seems to be a basis for the
sweeping conclusions that he draws.

And what about Java's ability to run on non-Microsoft platforms?  He
could say that Java isn't portable enough; he could claim that C# will
soon run on all platforms; but in fact he doesn't even mention the
topic, which seems like a serious omission given that he's claiming
that everybody is going to transition from Java to C#.

His claim that "the only major difference [is] that Microsoft left out
the kludgy parts" would make you think that C# is a simpler,
slimmed-down version of Java, whereas C# is actually a larger language
with a lot more features and doo-dads.  To me this detracts from his
credibility, and since his "feels better" claim depends entirely on
his own credibility, that's a problem.