interfaces (was: Re: Curl, multiple inheritance, and interfaces (was Re: cheerful static typing))

It seems to me that interfaces are the key component of object-oriented
languages that makes them really useful.  Think about it: you could get rid
of encapsulation and your life would be harder, but you could live with it
(e.g. python programmers rarely use private variables).  You could get rid
of inheritance, and you would have to write a lot more code, but you could
probably live with that too (e.g. java's prohibition on multiple
implementation inheritance hasn't hurt that much).  But if you don't have
interfaces that different classes can implement independently of any
knowledge of each other, then you don't have OO in any useful sense.  Even
though interfaces are usually viewed (e.g. in C++) as being a limiting case
of a class where all methods are virtual, it doesn't have to be that way.
The language Sather, for instance, has a very interesting object system
where interfaces are completely orthogonal to inheritance; interfaces deal
with subtyping (and hence polymorphism), whereas implementation inheritance
is done using "code inclusion".  The former is viewed as essential to OO
while the latter is just a convenience.  There are some experimental ML
dialects that do the same thing (Moby?).  I would like to see more
statically-typed languages moving in this direction.

Mike