continuations

Continuations may be as simple as can be,
but I cannot grasp the concept or their use.

I've been reading Kent Dibvig's "The Scheme Programming
Language" (among other things) but I just don't get it.

Could someone suggest a paper I could read (perhaps from
http://library.readscheme.org/page6.html)?

I'm reminded of how obtuse the use of pointers seemed to
me when I was learning C.  Many explanations limited
themselves to the statement that a pointer is an address,
as if that said it all.  It does explain everything, but only
if you already understand it.  If you don't, the statement
is gibberish.  You can't jump from that terse statement
to making a linked list.

Kevin Kelleher