Re: Continuations in Ruby v. Scheme

I've been reading Ruby too.  The details seem a bit more complicated.
It looks like a block, which looks like a closure to me, can only appear at
the end of a method call, and the block gets invoked by a yield statement
inside the method, which is how iteration is performed.  So, maybe, this is
just turning a generator into an iterator.

To make what seems like a full closure, that can be passed as an argument,
you make a Proc out of the block:  Proc(block).  I presume this makes the
arguments of the block lexical, though i'm not sure what the real
difference is.

Q1:  Is this the right model?
Q2:  Where did this model come from?  The book, suggests it comes from CLU.
Q3:  I think the Lisp Machine had an &args parameter that would let you
allocate additional fields in a function call frame.  Is that the same
basic idea?
Q4:  The book also said it was an optimization for loops, ie the variable
is allocated in the surrounding contour, i guess.
Q5:  I think, Guy Steele felt something like it seemed easier to "fall
into" (not the right words) implementing dynamic scoping than lexical scoping.
The Ruby approach seems like a strange variant where you can be dynamic in
a narrow lexical context. Is that the intent, or is it just another
approximate hack to get closures into a language?

I've been interested in Gregory Chaitin's work on programming Turing
machines in Lisp, to understand computational complexity.  Of the two
interpreters i know he's written, one in C, and one in Java, they are both
dynamically scoped.  When i've mentioned that they should be lexically
scoped, he shrugged me off.  When i looked at his interpreter it is very
simple.  So while the difference in implementation might not be much, maybe
people are more easily drawn to dynamic scoping than lexical scoping.  I
gues you could also simulate lexical scoping by variable renaming too.