Re: are we there yet?

"McLagan, Doug" wrote:

> as a relative newbie coming into computer science through python, i'd like
> to know what the C translators are about and what people think about the
> idea.  will they (or one of them) speed up python considerably, and if so,
> at what cost?

There are a lot of theories about this. Today's C translators are quite
far from improving the performance of Python much. Optimization is
tricky in general and quite difficult in a language as dynamic as
Python. I'm beginning to wonder if JIT and optimization-at-rutnime
techniques will preempt the C translators.

 Paul Prescod