names for primitives (Was: Re: Accumulator)

Now *here's* a deeply meaningful discussion to jump into ;-)

Personally, I dislike the word "lambda", but maybe that's been colored by
my experiences teaching scheme where I had to write the word "lambda" over
and over again on a blackboard -- it tends to mutate to "lamda" or "lamdba"
after a while.  "fn" or "fun" seems preferable to me (YMMV).  Haskell has a
nice solution using the backslash to represent lambda, BTW, but it doesn't
lend itself cleanly to s-expression syntax.

However, I *do* like "cons", "car" and "cdr".  "cons" is certainly easier
to say than "make-pair", and the terms "cons-cell" and "consing" are
sufficiently engrained that there seems no reason not to use them.  "car"
and "cdr" are not necessarily superior to "first" and "rest", but it's a
lot easier to say "cdadr" (cuh-DAD-er) than "rfrest" as is pointed out in
SICP.  Of course, you can also define "second", "third", etc. and
presumably also "third-to-end", "fourth-to-end" etc. and maybe that would
be better, at the cost of adding lots of terms to your namespace.  One
non-obvious advantage of the car/cdr system is that when the composite word
(e.g. "cadddr") becomes hard to pronounce, you're probably programming the
wrong way ;-)

In most cases, though, I prefer real words.  I like scheme's "define" over
python's "def" or goo's two-letter abbreviations ("dc", "dm", "df" etc.).
"define" also scales nicely to "define-syntax", "define-class",
"define-macro" etc. and all those words are easy to interpret.

Mike