Re: succinctness = power

I disagree that succinctness or terseness is a good property of a
language. When I read an expression or statement, I don't want to have
to puzzle it out. I want the meaning to be obvious. Verbiage decreases
comprehension, but so can terseness.

Also, repetition can increase a program's robustness. We humans like to
approach problems in different ways, and if all those ways lead to the
same answer, then I at least, have a greater confidence in the solution.

The requirement that one must declare the type of a variable before any
use is an example of a beneficial repetition.

I'm willing to let a compiler squeeze the repetition out of my programs.

--- Vladimir

--------
Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014