Re: Macros and little languages

Apologies for my flippant tone. But, Lisp is a survivor. As PG has pointed
out in 'Revenge of the Nerds', which started this discussion, the McCarthy
clan came up with the 10 basic things back in 1958, and what we have today
is more or less what he thought of.

Scheme is a survivor in the same way. We are now in the fourth
generation of Scheme implementations (Guy's Scheme, followed by
Scheme84/T/MIT Scheme, followed by Chez/Gambit/MacScheme, followed by
PLT Scheme/BigLoo/Twobit+Lareceny, etc). Let's see whether there will
be 4 generations of Python implementations.

The good ideas may not spread, but they survive. It doesn't make me
happy that the good Lisp/Scheme ideas don't spread, but when I see
someone like PG or Orbitz succeed with the stuff, hey, I know that
they are alive. And I personally work on spreading the ideas, but only
for the sake of producing better programmers (programmers who hate the
C-style stuff and know better, but who are victims of pointed-hair bosses).

-- Matthias