Re: following up on speed

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "C programmers should now seriously consider using conservative
> garbage collection instead of malloc/free in programs they write."

A big theme of the LL1 workshop was: why isn't industry listening to
academia? This
strikes me as an excellent case to study, if anyone has the time and
inclination to do so.

> I think Java and C++ contributed to the acceptance of GC,
> Java because it had GC, and C++ because it doesn't.

On the other hand, I think you'll find that lots and lots of people in
industry
are still quite convinced that GC is a very big price to pay, that GC is one
big reason that Java is slower than C++ and why you want to use C++ when
you really care about speed, etc.

I quite honestly am not sure what to believe, myself.  What would it take to
really convince people in industry that Zorn's advice should be taken
seriously?
I'd love to know the answer to that question -- perhaps someone could
seriously
engage this issue!

-- Dan