Re: "static" declaration

--- Dan Weinreb <dlw@smartleaf.com> wrote:
> In our discussions of what makes a lanaguage "lightweight", one of
> the
> things about Java that was condemned as "heavyweight" was the need to
> have "static" declarations, or at least the fact that you need to say
> "static" when declaring "main".

I wouldn't say that "static" is what makes Java heavyweight. It's just
a way of saying that the method is a class method. The language "Ruby"
seems lightweight to me, but it has class methods and class members, it
just uses a different syntax for declaring them.

Personally, I consider Java heavyweight because it has a restrictive
typing system that is heavily coupled with inheriting behaviour.

=====
Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
http://www.braithwaite-lee.com/   <-- background information
416-827-3488