Re: "static" declaration

Very much with others' code, although my experience may be atypical.

First, I have spent years working with lots of code reviews, so there
is the sensation of "reading your own code" because you recall the
original developer explaining the code at a review in the past.

I'm not a big fan of trying to write lines code so that any random
person can read it. I prefer to try to develop idioms or design
patterns that are understood within the culture of the programming
group.

I think the reason why people feel that Java, for example, is more
readable than Perl has a lot more to do with the fact that Java imposes
common programming idioms through its burgeoning packages than with the
language itself.

p.s. Here's a joke: three young ladies meet up at a high school
reunion. They decide to "catch up." The first says that although she
was poor in Math in High School, she redoubled her efforts in
University and went on to study Physics and is now working on a top
secret project in Los Alamos. The second girl nods, the third says
"interesting."

The second girl says that although she wasn't popular in school, she
discovered she has a knack for understanding what women want and has
become a buyer for a major department store. She travels to Paris and
Milan every year working the shows and parties with models 24/7. The
first girl nods, the third says "interesting."

The third girl allows how her life hasn't been so exciting. She stayed
home and has two children with her high school sweetheart. She did once
take a correspondance course on how to improve her communication, but
she only learned one thing before she lost interest.

What was that? The other girls ask.

She pauses, then replies: "to use the word 'interesting' instead of
'bullshit'"

--- Bob Cassels <bobcassels@netscape.net> wrote:
> raganwald@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >Looking back over my experience with reading code and finding bugs,
> >have come to a rather unexpected conclusion:
> >
> >First, declaring variables is essential, but declaring type is not.
> >This eliminates the common bug of introducing a new variable with a
> >typo.
> >
> >Second, declaing how a variable is to be used is much more important
> >than declaring what a variable is. For example, in C++, const
> >correctness is much more powerful than strong typing.
> >
> Interesting.  Is it the same whether you're looking at your own code
> or
> that of others?

=====
Reginald Braithwaite-Lee